Stretching Towards Tranquillity
When I first started writing these letters, I hadn’t yet embarked on the US leg of my Future Nostalgia tour, but somehow, as I put pen to paper today, I’m already back home in London! I’m especially grateful to my life-changing yoga instructor, Annie Landa, who has helped keep me strong, grounded and focused these past few months. This has never felt more necessary than in these increasingly turbulent times, something that’s occupying all our thoughts. I wanted to share a few of the yoga poses that have got me through some really intense pre and post-show days – I hope they bring you the same peace I’ve found in them. Enjoy this issue, and Europe: I’ll see you soon.
5 Yoga Poses That Keep Me Grounded
- Downward Facing Dog – I love starting my day with one of these. It’s the best indicator to realise how my body is feeling; whenever I feel my heels on the ground, I know my body is loose and ready.
- Pigeon Pose – Our hips store so much stagnant energy, and breathing into a pigeon is the best release for all that tension.
- Simple Spine Twist – A day and night ritual for me. Often my lower back will crack a bit in this pose, and it just feels so good to let it all out.
- Happy Baby – I guess babies have it all figured out! This is my favourite passive hip opener, I could sway side to side in this pose all day.
- Headstand – A core-strengthening exercise I do every day. Inverting myself also does it for my mind; it gives me both a literal and metaphorical different perspective to life, bringing it full cycle as I work on my strength, balance and focus.
Check out @Service95’s Instagram to watch Annie demonstrate these moves so you can follow along at home.