Let Me List It Out For You
A key part of the puzzle that’s remained vital to every issue of Service95 and At Your Service episode is the list. We’ve asked our writers and podcast guests for their recommendations, including must-dos in their hometowns, books to read, stand-up comedians to seek out, and organisations and activists to turn our attention to. To celebrate our love of lists, we’ve selected a few of our favourites from this year so far, some of which are appearing in print for the first time, including my own recommendations for Tirana – the second location for our Sunny Hill Festival, which kicks off tomorrow!
- Bunk’Art 1 & 2 – these incredible conversions of bunkers host historical exhibitions about Albania tied in with contemporary art. Not to be missed.
- Dajti Cable Car – if you want to see some spectacular views from up above, head here.
- House of Leaves – this museum served as the state security’s headquarters during the communist era and is now a place dedicated to the people that were convicted, prosecuted, and spied on during the communist regime.
- Ismail Kadare’s House – the house of famous Albanian author Ismail Kadare has been turned into a museum and is now open to the public.
- Blloku – Tirana’s trendy neighbourhood, this is where you’ll find the city’s nightlife, with lots of fun bars and restaurants.